May is not just about the Galaxy far, far away. It’s also about the sea 🙂
Why? Because May is the mermaid month, and the famous #MerMay2023 сhallenge is in full swing!
What is MerMay?
It’s a 31-day celebration of creativity, community and above all… MERMAIDS. You have to draw, animate or in any other way create a mermaid every day for the whole month of May.
Every year there will be an official prompt list released by the original creator. Artists may use this prompt list as an inspiration for their artwork.
MerMay was invented by Tom Bancroft, a very talented character designer, teacher, and animator, who has worked for big companies such as Disney.
The name Mermay is derived from the first three letters of the word “mermaid”, and the word “May”. That’s why sometimes Mermay is written as MerMay.
MerMay is one of the biggest art and creative challenges, having thousands of artists participating from over the world. This is why MerMay is an excellent way to make a ton of online art friends!
Join the challenge as an AR creator using the DEVAR (MyWebAR) platform and create mermaid magic everywhere!
Official MerMay Prompt List
If you are in need of some inspiration you can follow the official prompt list. However a lot of artists make their own! A lot of lists are out there already, so a quick Google search will give you the results 🙂
This is the official MerMay prompt list 2023:
You can participate in MerMay without entering the contest. If you want to enter the MerMay contest, here’s what to do.
Overview of the rules to qualify in MerMay 2023 contest:
- Post artwork of a mermaid from May 1st to May 31st on either Instagram or TikTok.
- You can work either digitally or traditionally. All mediums are allowed.
- Your artwork must be original and cannot be based on existing artwork.
- Your artwork does not have to be based on the official prompt list.
- You may use a different prompt list or get inspiration elsewhere.
- You do not have to submit every single day in order to qualify. But it helps in terms of visibility
- In each post you must use the following hashtag in the caption to qualify: #DrawMerMay2023
- You must be 18 years or older in order to qualify.
- No AI-generated art is allowed.
- You can also submit an animation video of 1 minute (or less) involving mermaids instead of illustrations. Use the hashtag #AnimateMerMay2023 in your Instagram or TikTok captions
You don’t have to follow the rules to participate in MerMay 🙂 Just note that if you don’t follow the rules you won’t have a chance to win one of the prizes.
Mermaids are No Longer Fiction!
You will notice that there is no mention of AR creators in the MerMay 2023 rules. We think this is a huge omission! Let’s show the world that mermaids are no longer fiction. You can meet them on the street or even in your own home if they are mermaids created with DEVAR (MyWebAR)!
Use #MerMay2023 and #DevarMerMay2023 and share your work on social media.
DEVAR (MyWebAR) Team